Monday, November 19, 2007

My 7 Year Old Philosopher

The other night we were at dinner. I was sitting next to my 7 year old daughter. She came across something in her food which she didn't like. There is nothing epiphinal about this - she is extremely picky. But as she picked it up and dropped it on the floor I was in disbelief. I asked her; "what are you doing throwing your food on the floor?" She replied, "It has to be somewhere daddy. If it wasn't somewhere it wouldn't exist." Hmmm. The greatest philosophers of all time have contemplated existence and weather we can know if anything truly exists. My seven year has posited a new proof I have never heard - It exists because it is somewhere.

She had to pick up the food anyway. She didn't get in trouble, but I warned her that this type of answer would not fly with mommy. My wife was observing the whole event and as it came to a close she looked at me and in a somewhat annoyed tone of voice said "she is just like you. That is something you would say." A budding philosopher or theologian in the family - oh the glorious thought! I just smiled a big smile!

2 comments:

Maria said...

Too funny, adorable, and I'm pretty sure you're daughter is smarter than me! Way to go to those who are educating your daughter..yay for her Mommy and Daddy!

Joshua said...

Thats really funny! I can imagine the whole situation in my head!