Wednesday, January 9, 2008

On Sainthood...

A headline on Zenit cought my attention; Sainthood Is Not Only For The Chosen Few. My first thought was, "Of Course not. Tell me something new." Then I stopped myself to think about the fact that to the vast majority of Catholics, this is something both new and totally foreign to their thinking. "Mass every Sunday? That is a huge commitment. You want me to do more?"

People today are so overscheduled that any intrusion into that schedule is seen as a great disruption to their life. An evening of reflection at the Church is not seen as a window of peace in one's busy life, but an inconvenience that will cause them to have to cram other things into already cramped time. What are we so busy doing? I can't figure it out! The time is full and before you know it, it's gone. What did we do in all of that running around all weekend? I don't have a clue, but it must be imoportant because we had to do all of it. Giving your son a birthday party with ten of his friends sounds like a lot of fun, but now you are committed to ten friends birthday parties in the next year. I have 6 kids - you can do the math. What about that ever lengthening Honey Do List? It's not getting done.

I propose a revision to the Honey Do List! It should look like this...

Honey Do List!

1- Spiritual Life Comes First. How can I grow in my relationship with Christ today?
2- Family comes next. When can I take time for my wife and my kids?
3- Everything else on this list or the family calendar should be critiqued on #'s 1 and 2. If it is in opposition to either of them, cross it off the list.

No comments: