Monday, March 31, 2008

Coffee and a Revelation


The Easter Vigil had just finished. I was exhausted. This is the biggest event of the year for most DRE's. After I completed cleaning up the papers from the Church I wondered outside. Only a handful of people remained where the reception had been a short time before. I walked over to the caterer's table. Our servers had been confirmation students of mine about ten years ago. During the Mass I had directed them where to set up. They offered me a piece of cake and coffee at that time but I explained that I couldn't; it would look to parishioners as though I was grabbing a snack at the midpoint of this three hour sacramental marathon (I don't receive communion at the vigil because I am doing so much work that I can't concentrate on the liturgy at all). They had said that they would save me a piece of cake and sup of coffee and they kept their word. There was the table with nothing but the coffee, sugar, and a single piece of cake. They had waited to take down the table. I grabbed a cup of coffee and two sugars. Picked up my cake and coffee and began to walk away. I took a drink of the coffee and froze in my tracks. This was the absolute best cup of coffee I had ever had! I went back and asked about it, but it was some restaurant blend that you buy in 50 lb bags... I stopped for a minute to enjoy the coffee and the nearly full moon over the mountains by our Church. I realized that it was the first time I had stopped for a minute since Holy Week had begun. I enjoyed the coffee and the realization that it was Easter and Christ is risen. He is risen indeed!

No comments: