Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Time To Try A Mac

For a long time the idea of switching to a Mac has intrigued me. As with many, I have not taken leap due to Gatephobie (the fear of waking up to Bill Gates laughing at you for spening a thousand bucks on a computer that you can't use with any of your old documents or programs).

I am using my office laptop for a lot of my MA work, but I need it at home and in the Church at the same time on weekends. Well, it's obvious that it needs to be at the Church, so I need a laptop for my Masters work: a cheap, used laptop. Hmmm, opportunity presents itself...

Well, I am taking the plunge; actually wading slowly into the water. I have a used (warrentied) iBook coming in the mail any day. Yes, it is 2 generations old. But I am only spending $300 and can still run current software and have thuroughly looked into swapping files between a Mac and PC and it's not an issue. It will only be used for word processing, the Web, and perhaps some blogging...

I don't expect you to believe that last part. I will be downloading gobs of open-source software to see what I can get this thing to do. Mac's have an amazing amount of quality freeware availible. I have already priced hard drive upgrades.

I'll keep you posted...

No comments: