Sunday, January 9, 2011

Did You Order Your NABRE Yet?

Well, "NABRE" is a better sounding acronym than "GIRM" (General Instruction on the Roman Missal), but not by much. It stands for New American Bible Revised Edition, and it has been approved for publication, private use, and study. Read the article that I have linked to below on the Catholic Culture site. It sounds promising, but let's wait until it gets in the hands of Scripture scholars whom we respect before we pass judgement.

The NABRE should be available on March 9th of this year. While there have been some modifications to the NAB since it was released in 1970 (A great year, I might add), this is the first revision of the Old Testament as well as the past New Testament and Psalter revisions. The NABRE is being touted as "more literal." While I hope this is true, and will certainly be purchasing a copy, I think that my RSVCE's prominence on my shelf is secure.

Link to Catholic Culture Article

.

1 comment:

texasmom said...

Hmmm.....I think I will stick with my RSV-CE for daily use, but like you, will probably get a copy.

Tine