Wednesday, July 13, 2011

I Remember Buying Books at Kirner's in Pittsburgh...

Kirner's Bookstore, a 130 year old religious bookstore in Pittsburgh, was sold at a Sharif's auction for $1,600. I still have books which I bought there when I was in Steubenville in the early 90's. I remember my excitement in finding the writings of Ignatius of Antioch on the shelf. I still have that volume. Remember that we are talking about pre-internet days, so you couldn't just go online and find the Fathers of the Church for free or order a book from Amazon. We visited the Catholic bookstore in every city we went to, hoping to find something new. I remember that Scott Hahn would drive hundreds of miles in the summer to Loome Theological Booksellers and fill up his car. Kirner's was one of three Pittsburgh bookstores we visited often. It's sad that it is gone.

Read the Article

No comments: