Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Interview with Catholic Author John McNichol (Part 2)

The following is the second part of a two part interview with Catholic author, John McNichol.If you missed part 1, Click Here. Enjoy.


TG: What is "in the works" for future projects?

John: I’ve published two books in the Young Chesterton Chronicles, and I am about ¾ of the way through the first draft of the third and final book in the series.

I also have another book, unrealted to the YCC, that will be coming out from Hilllside in April. Titled The King’s Gambit , intended for the 9-12 year old market, it’s a story about a young man’s search for his father while battling otherworldly enemies. I initially wrote it as a bit of a lark, but I got a lot of unexpected encouragement from family, friends, and a few good people at my work.

TG: What authors have personally inspired you?

John: Chesterton, Lewis, Tolkein and Stephen R. Lawhead have been indispensible for teaching me how to write fiction that has a genuine moral compass without getting ‘preachy.’

In terms of learning lessons on how to write better fiction, I learned
more from Stephen King’s "On Writing" than any other single source, fiction or non-fiction.

Most important, I said a number of Novenas from Sts. Francis De Sales and Jude, the patrons of writers and desperate causes, respectively. For both inspiration in my writing and guidance in finding publishers for my work.

TG: Finally, is there anything else you would like to tell our readers about your books, writing, inspiration, and dreams for the future?

John: Ultimately, I’m glad that I can use a story to illustrate the ideological conflicts of the world as I see it, along with with the logical conclusions. I hope that those reading my books will know their worth doesn’t depend on your accomplishments, abilities or how useful you are to those in power. Your value, like that of every person from conception to natural death, comes solely from from the fact that you were made from an infinitely good and loving God.

I’d also love to one hear how a truly gifted writer one day reads my work, and thinks “I can write better than this…” and does.

It’s very nice having a blog www.youngchestertonchronicles.com, and a fan page on Facebook.

Truth be told, I also wouldn’t mind if someone made a movie out of the Gilbert series. A line of action figures wouldn’t hurt either. So would a strategy board game. A video game would be nice, too but… one dream at a time, right? ;)


No comments: