Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Lenten Reading Recommendations

I wanted to post a list of recommended books for Lent, however, I knew that if I came up with the list on my own the books would all be ones that I have recommended in the past. We all have our favorites. So I decided to post on Facebook looking for recommendations and got a great list of books to share with you.

  • Sadness of Christ (St. Thomas More)
  • Lukewarmness: The Devil in Disguise (Fr. Francis Fernandez-Carvajal)
  • Obedience (Fr. Raniero Cantalamessa)
  • The Love that Keeps Us Sane: Living the Little Way of St Therese of Lisieux" (Marc Foley, OCD)
  • Jesus of Nazareth (Pope Benedict XVI) both books
  • Great Lent (Fr. Alexander Schmemann)
  • Anything by Fr. Jacques Philippe
  • In Conversation With God, Lent and Easter Volume (series)
  • Beginning Contemplative Prayer (Kathryn James Hermes)
  • The Everlasting Man (Chesterton)
  • The Screwtape Letters (CS Lewis)
  • He Leadeth Me
  • Father Elijah (Obrien) - I Concur John! One of my all time favorite fiction titles.
  • Timothy Gallagher's books on Ignatian Prayer 
  • Seven Words of Jesus and Mary: Lessons on Cana and Calvary
  • The Cross and the Beatitudes: Lessons on Love and Forgiveness
  • Lent and Easter Wisdom from Fulton J. Sheen
I have put the titles above (Those that I could find) on my Amazon associate page to make them easy to find. No, this is not a cheap sales pitch. I have yet to receive a penny from Amazon and have had an associate account for years. 


Personally, I will be reading Called to Life by Fr. Jacques Philippe (Kindle Edition).

Thanks go out to: Marques Silva, Kelley Peffer, Pete Cooney, Fr. Daniel Dozier, Renee Booksh, Lisa Ponchak, Teresa Pineda, and John McNichol for your recommendations.

No comments: