Friday, July 20, 2012

It's That Still Small Voice Again...

I am writing this from Franciscan University, where I am attending the St. John Bosco Religious Education Conference. This year" the theme is on the Holy Spirit, which has caused me to reflect a bit about the promptings that the Spirit gives us. Our lives are busy, often too busy. Finding the time to pray becomes "difficult" because we are always pressed to get to the next appointment on our calendar. In the rush, we may have a passing thought to stop and pray but we wave it off like a fly buzzing annoyingly around our head. We don't think that we have time to stop and pray. We must get to the next urgent event which needs our attention.

I had just such an experience yesterday as I was going to leave the dorm for the cafeteria and then to the next session. I didn't have a lot of time. I heard it as I approached the door, just a few yards from the chapel. That little voice inside calling me to stop and pray for just a minute. This time I didn't ignore it, and something miraculous happened. I stopped to pray and I wasn't late for the session. There was no crisis.

The small voice we hear in our heart or in a momentary thought is that of the Holy Spirit. If we begin to listen to this guidance and ask the Holy Spirit to speak to our hearts, His voice will become clearer. He will not lead us astray. We just need to start trusting in Him more than in our calendars.

That's all for now. An appointment with my pillow calls...



1 comment:

Suzzie said...

Interesting I should read this post today. Just yesterday I was thinking about how I need to add a bit more focused, get-down-on-your-knees type of prayer to my Tevye* style of constantly walking around talking to God. Of course there is nothing wrong with speaking casually to God all day, but stopping everything just to pray is vitally important to our walk with Christ.

*Tevye, main character in Fiddler on the Roof; one of my favourite movies